Bitter and Sweet
... I flung open the wide front door of 'Ben & Jerry's'. A bright, starry sky glittered above me and the rest of Jacksonville, Florida.
"Tally, wait up!" A voice from behind cried. I jerked my head around to face whoever it was.
"David! Hi. I thought you already left for home..."
He pursed his lips and scratched his head uncomfortably. "Yeah.. about that..." *sigh* "I lied... Well... I wanted to talk to you about something..."
Why didn't he just get to the point? "Shoot."
"Yeah... um... walk with me for a little bit." He said, staring at his thick, leather boots.
He was being pretty annoying, but, I figured he must have something pretty important on his mind to have waited half an hour for me to leave. We meandered for a while, and ended up sitting on a couple of old, worn out crates in an alley across from the parking lot. Was he finally getting up to it now? "I'm beginning to think you didn't really want to talk to me... should I just go?" I stood up.
"Wait! I mean, no. No, don't leave."
I sighed reluctantly and turned so I was facing him again. How did I know if what Jessie had said about David was true? Would he really hurt me? Was he really dangerous? What would happen if I asked him? Should I leave? After all, I was standing in a dark, empty alley with someone I had only known for two weeks... "You know... I've heard rumors. About you. Sometimes I've even heard people telling me... to stay away from you.I-"
"So you're ... afraid of me now?"
"Well... just forget it. I mean... Thank you. You really made my night. What can I do to make it up to you?"
He chuckled darkly. "Like what?"
"Anything.Just name it."
He stood, and walked behind me. He tenderly put an arm around my waist and a hand into his bulging pocket. He put his face next to mine. "Anything?" He clarified softly.
"Anything."
"Well, there is one thing..."
"What?"
He quickly lashed a hand out of his pocket and put a damp, odored rag to my face. His arm around my torso tightened and rolled me into a ball. And as I lapsed into unconsciousness, I heard these words; "Don't scream."...
Labels: Cliffhanger

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home